Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Real Deal Behind the Dove's "Real Beauty Sketches"

Have you seen this video?

DOVE Real Beauty Sketches 


It has gone viral for the past few days in the US and the rest of the world (though not in Malaysia I suppose cause everyone's still excited about the annoying Gwiyomi video -.- Get a life people, there are more important videos to be watched, like Ted Talks for example, but that's another blog post for another day

Anyway, this video has made a huge impact, bane and boon, to the global media society. Why? Because people have been questioning the authenticity of this video. Should 'real beauty' be the most important thing to look in our lives?

Here's my take on the whole thing: Yes, beauty is important for our self esteem. Every woman wants to be beautiful and looked in admiration because God made us that way. We care about our appearances more than the guys. And truth be told, I am exactly like the girls in this video. I have underestimated my physical appearance for years. Having drop dead gorgeous girls as friends who post their photos on Facebook or Instagram and getting endless likes make me feel like I want to be in that situation too, pretty and confident just like them. As shallow and humiliated as I am for admitting this, there are countless of times where I wish I was in their shoes, who are constantly adored by their boyfriends and praised by everyone for their beauty. And it makes me sad because by feeling this way, I am not appreciating the other talents I have...

I watched this video first before reading this post from fellow blogger: Shaelaiza. My first impression was: Yes, I can't be as ugly as I perceive myself to be. Maybe other people think I'm actually a decent-looking person and I should be grateful with the complete physicality God has granted me for the past 21 years.

Then there's Shaelaiza's comment that made me ponder again about the video: 
Yes, it's a well-produced ad but all I'm getting from it is: What you look like is important and it will always be important no matter what age you are. 
Then what I realise is that, beauty isn't the most important thing is it? Well, not physical beauty that is. Beauty is so subjective that I should be proud at the talents that make me, me. I shouldn't have to dwell on the fact that though I'm not as pretty as my friends, I do have some other notable qualities that could easily define my personality and integrity.

Same goes with other people, we shouldn't judge them based on looks. I think we are aware that good looks doesn't necessarily mean a good akhlaq

So after watching this video, I hope you don't think that how others see you is what matters. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But do we necessarily have to care all the time what the beholder thinks? I believe that while beauty does good for your self esteem, I know it's not enough just to be a pretty face. 

Let's challenge the social norm and change society's perspective that there's more to girls that just their physical appearance! 

No comments:

Post a Comment