Sunday, April 21, 2013

The People You Meet is Just as Important as the Books You Read


5 years ago I was 16. I was in Form 4, and didn't have a clue what went on in the outside world. I was content in my own world, filled with studies and friends I only saw during school time. Back home I would spend the day with my family and cats.

Now, I'd say I've met a lot of people who taught me a lot about life. People who took advantage of me, used me for their own gain, gossiped about me behind my back and taught me that I couldn't trust anyone. But I've also met kind and caring people who made me believe that each one of us has at least that small streak of kindness embed deep within us. Even if it takes time and kindness in return for it to surface.

I can count on 1 hand the number of people I trust. And I'm grateful because having more than 1 hand of people to trust just means you don't really know who to trust. It just means you have lots of friends. That's all. And you can't be too careful when that happens.

The books I read now have much evolved from the books I once read during secondary school. I like that about myself. My books have matured alongside me for the past 5 years. As I grow up and grow old, so will my books. They gave me wisdom when nobody else wanted to. They accompanied me whenever I felt I needed company.

And I know they'll still be with me 5 years from now...

"A book lover never goes to bed alone"

No comments:

Post a Comment