Saturday, April 20, 2013

Good Reads: Of First Love and a Dead Dog


I've had the pleasure of reading these 2 books for the past week and I must say they are equally amazing in that unique ways of theirs.

Eleanor and Park is a love story. And it's just that, a love story at its best. My best friend recommended this book and I'm the one who ended up finishing this book instead of her hehe. Anyway, it's a story of 2 high school star-crossed sweethearts. Eleanor is quirky yet mysterious, while Park is the typical Asian dude who happens to be really cute and cool. Both share their love of comic books and music. But Eleanor comes from a difficult family and that in return jeopardises their relationship. I especially loved this book because it's been so long since I read a good and genuine love story. And it reminded me of the beauty of love and relationship when we're always so busy with work and everything....

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time touched my heart because it was written in the perspective of an autistic boy who wants to be like Sherlock Holmes and solve the mystery of who killed his neighbour's poodle, Wellington. Contrary to a crime novel, it's more of a memoir into the strange and untold life of autism and what parents usually have to face with a child with this syndrome. I've always been fascinated by autism, I've read books about them and I always think it's particularly interesting when you're in that state where only logic and patterns bring meaning into your life. Autistic children are usually intelligent and brilliant in maths. They're not dumb, they're just anti-social, but that doesn't mean they're introverts as well. It's because they choose to be by themselves and immerse in a world of details and logical thinking, something we normal people don't usually do.

So go have a read at these two books, if you're like me...you're in for a good read :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment