Saturday, April 13, 2013

Learn to Read, Kid but Don't Fall in Love

I have officially found my favourite author/blogger of all time: RAINBOW ROWELL

Words cannot describe how amazing of a writer (and reader) she is. Go to her blog and indulge yourself in her witty and quirky posts as she takes you on a journey into the never-straightforward world of books 

One of my favorite posts from her, Learn to Read Kid, but Don't Fall in Love, is about how reading affects your child's life. Yes your child will learn to read and write and comprehend things that will be useful in the future, get a job, impress your neighbors and friends, like how I explained in my previous post

But what nobody has ever told you, even I have just realized this today, is how reading can disrupt your child's social life. And yet nobody tells you to stop reading

And that's the ironic thing, reading has been so widespread as a good thing, that nothing bad could actually come out of it! But every book lover knows that when you love reading too much (I'm guilty as charged), you have a problem. Yes, it will be constantly on your mind, the book you're currently reading. And for me, I'll get frustrated as when can I complete this book and move on to the next book? How long will it take to finish reading all the books in the world?

It's enough to make a girl go mad.

But, granted all the social time and major health problems endured while reading, we still read. 

Voluntarily. Willingly. Expectingly. Because we don't want to do anything else.

"But it also untethers you from the real world. People who fall in love with books never really stop falling." 
- Rainbow Rowell

Currently reading her new book: Eleanor & Park. Amazingly awesome by far ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment