Sunday, April 26, 2015

10 Lessons from Being a Final Year Student

And so I'm really this close to crossing one more thing on my life to-do list: 

Graduate with a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering. 

My exams ended yesterday evening. I could have gone out of the hall earlier but I remained to bask in the moment of the my last (insyallah) paper in my undergraduate studies. It was surreal. 5 years in UTP and all the time I doubted if I could ever finish it. I joined the foundation programme in May 2010, a wide eyed young girl from Seremban with social anxieties and low self confidence. Alhamdulillah, I think it's safe to say I have matured a lot these past 5 years into a person I am very comfortable being. 


The past 5 years have been such an eye opener, as much as college experiences go. But it is true what they say, enjoy every moment of final year in college. There's nothing like it. Just like my previous reflection post for internship, I want to do the same for my final year experience. So, here goes! 
This is in no particular order by the way lol. 

1. It's never too late to get to know your batch mates 


Final year may be a hectic time, but I think if you make the time for it, you'd be surprise by how much you can get to know someone. I started hanging out more often with a group of friends I rarely go out with, and I was surprised by how well we got along. 

It's okay to go out your comfort zone sometimes, and discover something new. 

2. Time Management is the key to EVERYTHING


You will endless endless banter from seniors how final year is stressful and the pressure is too high to handle. My advice to deal with all of these is simple: plan your time well and always put aside some ME-TIME to avoid stressing out too much

3. Final Year is really based on your LUCK 


Despite #2, I found out final year really is a 'luck' kind of thing. Depending on who you have as your project supervisors and teammates, it really can make or break your final year experience. But always try to see the bright side of things, and always remember "This too shall pass..."

4. Being helpful takes you far


You'll face 8-months long (or any long term ones) project with your batch mates and I have seen it get the worse of them. Avoid fights, talk it out and always help each other. Cause everyone's going through a battle here.

5. Understanding people takes you even further


Knowing when and how to understand people helped me a lot in trying to create that tension-free atmosphere in my group and individual projects. It's tough but I think this is the most crucial part of interacting with people. Be empathetic or at least try to believe that everyone's doing the best to their capabilities. 

6. Never forget the people who made you who you are today


This includes your family and friends. They supported you and made you feel at home. And thank those that taught you a hard lesson about friendship (betrayal, distrust, hatred, etc). Because they made you a better person today. 

7. Call your parents everyday (or every other day)


Because never, ever forget folks at home. They pray for your success and are always waiting for your call to just update them about your life. Remember, the reason you made it this far is most probably because of your parents' prayers for you :) 


8. Reading books really help in de-stressing your life (for me anyway)


It's not a secret I love reading. I carry a book everywhere in case I find myself stranded having to wait for someone. If you don't read, find something that makes you relaxed at the end of the day! It could be sports, music, arts, design, DoTA, and anything really. 

9. Watching Big Bang Theory is a great way to bond with friends


Because it's not everyday you find a best friend in a Sheldon-lookalike. Sharing common interests really is a great way to seal a friendship. It's been an amazing journey to meet a lot of book readers and science geeks like myself. 


10. Always smile even when no one's watching...


Because at the end of the day, you're here and doing something with your life. Smiling just means you're grateful for at least one small thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment