Sunday, March 15, 2015

Google Hangout Session 1: SPM Leavers 2014

I had the privilege to join this year's Projek Inpsirasi's initiative: GH Session 1 in helping post-SPM students select a course of study for university. It's an online live video conference where 9-10 panels answer questions asked by the audience. It's a pretty cool way to engage with the students on broader subjects in one sitting. Session 1 comprised of  Engineering, Biotechnology, Pure Science & Computer Science and I was invited to talk about chemical engineering and its prospects. 


Our GH coordinator: Syaza Azmi
The video can be seen here (as well as my awkward face -- this is my first time, don't judge!)

It's always nice to see the young generation getting more involved in carving their future. I know how tough it is for you guys to choose a course of study despite not knowing what exactly you want to study. 5 years ago, I was dead set of studying chemical engineering because I loved chemistry (urgh worst misconception about chemical engineering ever).  But Alhamdulillah 5 years later, I am almost done studying it and surprisingly I've enjoyed the course more than I expected. 

Anyway, I thought I would compile all the questions I answered last night and maybe answer some that we didn't have enough time to get to.

Hope this helps! 

Questions Answered: 


Answer: If your intention is becoming a Petroleum Engineer, then proceed directly to study Petroleum Engineering. But if you don't want to limit yourself, you can pretty much do whatever you want and learn EVERYTHING.



Answer: Generally? Yeah it takes a lot of critical thinking, understanding advanced physics, fluid mechanism, transport processes, operational and process conditions, and decision making. You should feel scared when taking it (this avoids any truancy on your part), but you should also believe in yourself. It's definitely challenging, and not for all people (I have seen some of my friends drop the course and switch to something else) but with proper strategies it's do-able.



Opinion: Personally, after enduring 4 years of studying engineering plus 8 months of industrial experience in Shell PD, I think this is true to a point. Specializing your degree limits your scope of work only after graduation (because you have zero work experience). But if you enter the right field and gain years of experience afterwards, the sky's the limit. 
The reason I like chemical engineering is more of a personal choice in having the versatility to enter whatever field I want (Oil & Gas, Food, Pharmaceutical, Cosmetics, etc). You know, in case I get bored in one field, I can join another one. Haha..

Unanswered Questions: 


Answer: Well if for local PETRONAS scholars, yes the min CGPA is 2.75 to mantain your sponsorship. From what I've been told PG studies natural resources in the ocean to discover new areas of oil exploration & extraction. Once they find these potential reservoirs, Petroleum Engineers are responsible in getting the oil out from it.  But that is in layman's terms. For more details, Google! 

Amy: You know the funding could go to the geology department.
Sheldon: Oh no! Not the dirt people.
LOL, OK enough Big Bang Theory references (in case you didn't know what that joke was)


Answer: None kid, none. I suggest you take Industrial Chemistry or any divisions of chemistry if you still love the subject and want to work in the industry. I heard UTM has some good chemical programmes, and they're not just exclusive of engineering. 



Answer: Chemical Engineering is an art.

Instead of paint, you have chemicals with unique personalities and traits that can be transformed into products suitable for consumerism. Instead of a canvas, you have block diagrams and process instrumentation diagrams. Instead of a brush, you have process optimization softwares (iCon, HYSYS, MathLab, Phast Risk, etc)

In a nutshell, if we were to convert crude oil into the fuel we fill our gas tanks with, chemical engineers are involved in the design, planning, construction and operation of the refinery. And instead of just producing car fuel, we produce other products that are marketable. We turn simple chemical reactions found in labs, into large scale plants looming over people's heads and making companies rich. The technicalities of it include many aspects of physics, maths and a whole lot of brain crushing.

Hope this is brief enough ;) 


Answer: Senang? Nothing's easy in this world kid. If it was everyone would be doing it haha. You can check UTP's website but last I heard the requirements were a minimum C grade in Physic, Chemistry and Maths. 



Answer: Honestly, I like it. I come from a suburb and I've never been fond of the rush of the city. So UTP's alright for me. I'm not an aspiring hipster so I'm not a frequent at hipster cafes. But if you like 'em, I heard Ipoh has tons. 

UTP's basically in the middle of nowhere (Google: Tronoh, Perak) but lately it has been developed because of UTP and UiTM Sri Iskandar. So yeah, we have Billion, McD and Dominoes now, which is a huge improvement than when I came here 5 years ago (which only had KFC D:).

It's a great place to study because we're surrounded by forestry and the occasional visits from monkeys. 


Answer: There was one dude in the GH who studies Chem Eng in University of Manchester, UK. You can ask him for more info, but yeah generally Chemical Engineering programmes overseas are more detailed and comprehensive than in Malaysia. Here are top Chemical Engineering schools in the world. But coming from a local institution, I'm proud of the quality of education I was given. So, bear in mind, never underestimate local institutions, we have some great universities offering chemical engineering: UTP, UTM, USM, UniKL MICET, etc.

In the end, you're the one who's in charge of how the final product (read: you) is despite your location of study :) 

It's not hard if you like all of those subjects. You will find the course even more enjoyable too! And in terms of demand, think of it this way: as long as people need food, transportation fuel, and medicine, insyAllah there will be demands for the profession. Don't be choosy and always chase for experience regardless of area of specialization. The money will follow afterwards. 


-------------------------


Anyway hope this helps! You can leave comments below if you have any more questions, I'd be more than happy to help you to learn more of this course. You can refer to the list of panels of last night's session here if you have more questions related to their fields of study. 

To SPM leavers, I wish you guys all the best in this new endeavor of your life. It is going to be challenging and difficult, at times you will feel like giving up. But always cleanse your intention (for muslims, your niat), to study for the sake of knowledge and passion. Science and technology can be a lucrative industry, but always remember the people who raised you and never forget your roots :)

You are the future generation, and we definitely need more engineers to direct our nation to a prosperous direction. So, research properly and choose wisely :D 

Oh before I forget, my one-liner advice from last night's session was: 
Your only competition is yourself...

:)

4 comments:

  1. hai kak.. i just got an offer from utp to take the foundation in ICT.. i requested for PE and CE.. tapi xdapat :( because my passion is more to chemical-related course laa.. so nk tanya.. if there is any chance for me to change the course to PE or CE foundation once i done registering as utp student? thnks in advance 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ! Let's see are you a private student? Because if you are usually they allow students to switch courses during foundation, but you have to do it quick because the subjects ICT and engineering students take are different.

      Just give Registra a call and confirm back with them. But during my time it was no problem for non-Petronas scholars to switch courses. Good luck! :D

      Delete
    2. yup. i am a private student hehe 😁 ohh.. okay2 got it 👍 I plan to head for the registra on the day of my registration to make an appeal for the change of course hehe thanks a lot kak :D I ask akak sbab ada yang ckap xboleh tukar course yang di offer :(

      Delete
    3. Hmmm dulu my time boleh, but I'm not sure about now. But usually UTP are considerate of appeal cases. Nevermind, you can always confirm back with them :D but the ICT programme here is quite good as well, I have many seniors and juniors striving in that course.

      Did they tell you why you didn't get engineering?

      Delete