Saturday, March 7, 2015

Malaysian Readers in a Pinhole

You know the first thing how someone would describe me? A reader.

And I'm proud of that. Not many Malaysians read consistently enough for them to be labelled as one. I once heard that the average Malaysian read 2 books as of 2005, and in 2014 the stats increased to 14 books. Here's the thing: 85% of Malaysians do read and our nation does have high literacy rates. Yet, did you know only 3% of that 85% read books? While the rest actually reads magazines, comics or newspapers. Albeit a reading material is still reading material, but I feel sad that books or novels don't get the attention they deserve.

There are many reasons why kids don't read books:

  • Parent's influence
  • Reading material
  • The Reading-is-for-Scoring-Exams perception
  • Expensive books (in which I once wrote tips on how to buy cheaper books here)
  • Social media distraction
I'm always an advocate for youth reading, and when I started my Instagram-based book account (@BookLoves_) initially it wasn't for that purpose hahaha. I just wanted a medium to practise my photography skills and be a place where I can do book reviews or showcase some pretty book-related items. I was tired of having to answer my friends' "What books do you recommend?" questions individually, and wanted a collective medium to do just that. Some people have gave feedback saying they really enjoyed my reviews and it made them want to read it/ I didn't expect my account to have an impact on anyone to pick up a book. But I do hope my posts make you guys WANT to read and feel the exhilaration every time I finish a book. 



I read mostly because of the 'feels'. Each book makes you feel different things: remorse, disappointed, exuberant, smart well-informed, etc. So I hope you read because you feel about books the way I do, along with some of your own reasons :) 

As a way to interact with my friends and colleagues, I asked on FB what book(s) people have as their favourites. I've always loved it when people tell me about books they've read because they this gleam in their eyes that usually appears in readers with a favourite book. 


I was very excited when people started sharing their favourite books! Plus I got to know more about books I haven't heard of too. Surprisingly I've read some of these books too. Read anything familiar? 



`
Around 22 people responded. We're not a big bunch. But from Instagram I do know of thousands of readers who are actively reading. If I can increase that number even by one, I think I've done my part in encouraging reading. 

Even if we comprise less than the 3% of Malaysian readers who read books, I'm glad I know many friends who are avid readers such as I. It's hard to continue the habit and I hope you never lose that momentum to pick up  a book and read. 

And here's a video about book lovers that we probably can relate to :D 


So, what's YOUR favourite books? 

No comments:

Post a Comment