Friday, April 3, 2015

2015 1st Quarter Recap in Books

Final year final semester is always known for its hectic and stress. But I entered preparing for the worst with an armload of books as a shield. People are always surprised whenever they find me reading a book in the cafe or lounging around with a book in hand. They always ask me how do I find the time to read? It's simple really. 

"When you don't spend your time going out much, you have a LOT of free time"

LOL

Anyway, I've read some good books for this quarter year. Books will forever be my solace and place of hiding when reality gets a bit too much for me. The only way I've survived final year so far is through reading. Albeit, I have less time to read, but it is one of my de-stress routine before going to bed. 



Here are the books I've read so far in the last 3 months. I'll be reviewing some of my favourites, so if the book is in the picture but not reviewed...you know what it means. 

The Girl You Left Behind - I can honestly say Jojo Moyes is my go-to women fiction author. This book, like most of her other books had me hooked till the end. Moyes has a beautiful way of weaving history and the present that made readers time travel. And I swear that's the best kind of books. To show you how great I found this book, I finished this while I was SITTING FOR FINALS.

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend - Matthew Green (Dicks) did such an amazing job in portraying difficult lives of autistic kids. And I loved how it was narrated from Max's imaginary friend, Budo. I've always enjoyed any kind of memoirs/novels surrounding autism. Similar books you might enjoy: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time & Reason I Jump.

Happiness of Pursuit - Now here's a book you might need if you're stuck in a dead-end job and want the courage to get out. I find this difficult to relate as the author was aiming for middle aged lads stuck in work offices. But I did gain great insight into how to create quests and customize them to my liking.

The Night Circus - THIS BOOK IS SO AMAZING. The perfect mix of magic and reality, which I love, that got me all wrapped up in the story and wishing I could visit a Victorian Circus this instant!

The Marriage Plot - Despite me giving this book only 3.5 stars on Goodreads, I actually enjoyed the literature point of view of Eugenides. His writings are very heart felt and I'm very looking forward to reading The Virgin Suicides and Middlesex, which are so much better I heard. The Marriage Plot will have you nodding along and recounting your previous (or for me, ongoing) college experiences during that ambiguous moment in your life.

Yes Please - Amy Poehler is King. She is the epitome of the career woman I want to be. Funny, dramatic, ambivalent, sweet, a great mother to her kids, compassionate and driven. This is the perfect book to motivate yourself in loving what you do, and not giving a rat's ass of what people are saying about you.

Another month left before I can read anytime I want and not have my projects get in the way :D

So what books have you enjoyed so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment