Sunday, November 10, 2013

Turning 21


I turned 21 last Wednesday. I don't feel any different physically. But I have always looked forward to my 20's years. People always tell me that your 20's are crucial to develop your personality, career and life aspirations. 

Once I watched this video: Why 30 is not the new 20


And ever since then, I've been more focused in aiming to achieve my own personal goals. Like curb my depression fits, or be more independent, craft a wonderful journey to a career I hope to still love in the next 20-30 years. And all of that starts now

I must say, my mom has always been my biggest inspiration. She was the one who always pushed me to do well in my studies and make a name out of myself. She never got the chance to pursue a college education since she had to work and help support her family. It was rough back then, and I am grateful to have lived a more comfortable life compared to my parents who had to work hard to give us this life. Knowing this, it made me more anxious of developing myself the moment I turned 20 last year. 

Things I learned for the past 20 years: 
  1. Anger and jealousy is just a wasted emotion.
  2. So is caring what EVERYONE thinks of you. The opinions of those who knows you is what matters.
  3. It's alright to be weird and by yourself. It's better than fitting in a place where you don't belong.
  4. Stop pleasing everyone. It's not worth it.
  5. Make life goals. And a plan. The planning part is crucial.
  6. I cannot emphasize this any stronger: Plan and don't take into account the negative, destructive comments that you will inevitably receive.

And being 21, it just fuels my enthusiasm and motivation to at least try to be better than I was before. If you read my last post, you'd know how I struggled with social perception of being a bookworm/nerd. Well, I'm shedding off the layers of humiliation I've allowed to rest on my skin, and it's time to not care what others think of me, and achieve what I was born to do.

Be different. 

And be the best I could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment