Monday, November 4, 2013

Knowing Your Strength

You know what I've realised in the past week? 

Your intelligence is sometimes defined by your OWN terms, not by everybody else.
When I went for the interview last week, I didn't expect to be shortlisted, let alone selected to be one of their vacation trainees. I've always had people underestimating me, telling me that all I'm worth is just the CGPA on my CV, nothing more. 

And over time, I've believed them...

Ever since secondary school, my peers would made me feel like I'm just a nerd who's book smart but probably isn't worth anything outside my classes. Same goes for college. Which is why I strive so hard to join events and develop my communication skills and critical thinking whenever I find myself in a sticky situation. 

But being selected and offered a place for internship, ahead of everyone else, made me realise one crucial thing about myself. 

I do have my own potential(s). I could count on one hand the amount of people who believed me...and I don't have enough fingers or even toes to count the amount of people who don't. And the difference between these 2 groups of people?

One knows me very well, while the other is just a group that merely comments.

Though I must admit, the latter group is very important for self-improvement and taking criticism in a positive way, but it shouldn't ever waver your motivation and inspiration to be your best. To find motivation and the willpower to move on, you need the first group.

They can be your parents, best friend, room mate, mentor, lecturers, anyone who inspires you to do better. Who advises you to test the uncharted waters cause they know you'll swim back alive.

I know this internship issue is just a temporary phase in my life, and I'll have future work-related issues to think about, but right now at this point in my life. I'm proud of myself and the journey I've traveled. I'm glad that I did listen to the second group of people, but never allowed them to define my abilities and success in the past 21 years. 

I'm glad I get to define intelligence in my own terms now. 




And I'm so glad to have surround myself with amazing people like these who never fail to inspire me with their own success and ongoing life achievements.

Renewing my confidence have never felt so good. 
So here's to all my sources of inspiration and to all who ever doubted me. 

"It's not about what you've achieved, it's about the future achievements you have yet to achieve" - Mohamad Nazmi Zaidi


No comments:

Post a Comment